Windows Outlook 2007 POP to Zimbra IMAP
Archived article - Please update your mail client.
Windows Outlook 2007 was deprecated by Microsoft in 2017.
DISCLAIMER: All Archived pages are for documentation for products no longer supported by the developer. XMission will not be able to support issues regarding deprecated applications. We strongly recommend upgrading to a current version of this mail client that is well supported and compliant with modern email standards. The Zimbra webmail interface is always up to date and well supported. Please give it a try: https://zimbra.xmission.com
Seriously: Please don't put your business or personal data at risk any longer by using a non-supported mail application. Upgrade now.
How to move to IMAP with Outlook 2007 instead of using legacy POP3.
With few clicks you will change the settings on your POP3 account and then add IMAP services.
Steps For Outlook 2007
Disable POP3 Account
- Click on "Tools" Tab and click on "Account Settings".
- Click on Account settings
- Click on "Change" button to edit POP3 account.
- Remove password. Save settings.
Add account with IMAP settings
- Select the "Tools" tab and click on "Account Settings".
- Select Internet E-mail
- Click on "New" button to add your account with IMAP settings.
- Complete all blank spaces.
- Click on "Manuually Configure Server Settings or additional server types" and after that click "Next".
- Select the first option to add IMAP account and click on "Next" button.
- Choose Internet Email option
- Complete all requested information then click the "More Settings" option.
- Click the next button
- Select the "Advanced" Tab and fill all server port numbers.
- Next click on "OK" and the Next button
Test your IMAP account
- Now Click on "Test Account Settings" to test your account.
- Click Next button.
- When all test show Completed Successfully click the Close button to continue process.
- Click on "Next" button to continue process.
- Finally, click on "Finish" button and your IMAP account has been added.
Moving emails from POP3 to IMAP
If the option to delete emails from server was initially chosen during POP account configuration, emails would have been deleted from the mail server as they were downloaded to the email client, so the newly configured IMAP account will not contain these emails. THOSE MESSAGES EXIST ONLY ON YOUR DEVICE. DO NOT DELETE THEM UNTIL YOU KNOW YOU HAVE A BACKUP.
To avoid losing these emails during the switch from POP to IMAP, you must select the emails contained in the various folders (Inbox, Sent, Drafts, Junk, Trash and Etc) on your legacy POP account, and then drag and drop them into the respective folders of your newly configured IMAP account.
Microsoft offers a How-to page on converting Windows Live Mail POP account to IMAP but it requires Microsoft credentials to view. if you have such credentials you can learn more here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/search
Deleting the POP3 mailbox
After your existing emails have been moved from your POP account to their corresponding IMAP folders (and after ensuring that no emails are missing), you can delete the existing POP-configured account and its respective folders from your mail client. Then, continue using email through your new IMAP profile. However, as mentioned before, Outlook 2007 is no longer supported by the vendor. Please only use modern and secure email applications. You can always use https://zimbra.xmission.com to view your mail from any web browser.